Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Wine and Painting Win

Sometimes I get crafty when I drink wine...or at least I think I do as made evident in a recent Crafty Cork post. Well, recently one of my favorite things to do has been to go to those bring your own bottle of wine and painting classes. I know they have been around for a few years, but I hadn't taken the time to try one out. When I first went earlier this year with some girl friends, it was a blast!

Then a couple weeks ago I hit up class #2. It was an enjoyable evening with the ladies, but there were distinct differences between my classes. I'm no Monet, but drinking wine and painting sure is a fun and relaxing way to spend some spare time.

The first class was at more of an art studio location where you could bring in your wine of choice. You had organized assigned seating and there was a process for checking in. I took my favorite bottle of Old Moon Zinfandel with me, but found myself painting more than drinking. That must say something about the instructor and engagement in the task at hand...painting swirly trees and starry night.

The second class was actually hosted at a local "wine bar". Best I could tell it was only a "wine bar" by name because to me it just seemed like a local college dive bar. Nonetheless we ordered our glass of wine and headed upstairs to the rooftop patio for the Sunday evening class. It was a perfect way to relax on a summer evening. While there lacked some serious structure to the class that could have kept us on pace, this was a much more creative artsy vibe. As the sun set, light became sparse. Without a clear view of what I was painting, I distracted myself to head down the stairs for another glass of wine. Upon returning upstairs, we finished our painting with much of the same fanfare of compliments and admiration of others' works. 

While my experiences of wine and painting were completely different, I've thoroughly enjoyed tapping into my creative side with a wine glass in one hand and a paint brush in the other. I doubt this will flourish into anything more than a pastime, but I've booked another class for some girlfriends and me. Plus, the studio offers kids classes (without the wine) and Saturday morning mimosas and painting. So, we will be headed back for some mom and daughter time.

What are your thoughts of the wine and painting trend? Have you taken a class? Tell us about your experience.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment